Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bus journey and heewon's giant pack featured

Today I made the long journey from Franz Josef down to Queenstown--this country is so freaking long. 8 hr bus ride, though about two hours of that was stops at various tourist attractions, including a most random salmon farm. I was hungry enough at one point to fork over $8 for vegetable soup. Hrrmph. Really spectacular scenery along the way, especially Lake Wanea--so clean that you can jump right in and drink the untreated water like a fish. I can't put captions from the blogger app on my phone but there was a funky feature at one point, I think in the first picture, an island in Lake Wanea that also had its own minilake. So a lake in an island in a lake.

Also included are some pics of me from Abel Tasman, that 60k hike we did a few days ago, courtesy of Kate. I will share more pics from that when I get home as I can't connect camera to computer right now. Additional technical difficulties have made me give up on chronology in this blog.

And that candy/rock dispenser. Oh New Zealand, how you amuse me. Yesterday I saw a sign warning people not to drink the toxic untreated water in the town, the main feature of which it was "YOU'D BE AN IDIOT TO DRINK THE WATER!" all in red.

Tomorrow going to Te Anau two hours away where I will stay a few days to rest up for Kepler, another big hike. Will be doing a little sea kayaking in Doubtful Sound, named so because Captain Cook doubted that a ship thay went in the sound would make it out whole. Supposed to be amazing. Never done sea kayaking but have done some whitewater--hopefully that helps?







No comments:

Post a Comment