Sunday, March 25, 2012

Queen Charlotte Track

I meant to do another long hike in the Marlborough Sounds, a really beautiful area with lots of little bays and coves. 70k(?) that I meant to do over four days. The first day was glorious.









And then the weather got a bit stormy. To the point it just didn't make sense to walk, it would've been no fun and I was actually a bit worried I might get blown off a cliff as it was really very windy. I powered through the second day then gave way to nature. But the cool thing with this track is that there are private boat transfers available, so I just boated from resort to resort. It was still fun, I found For Whom the Bell Tolls in a free(?) bookshelf at a resort so read that. Suspenseful to the end, and somehow I didn't feel quite as let down as I did after reading A Farewell to Arms. Maybe just because I was expecting someone/everyone to die anyway. Also made friends with a bunch of middle-aged people and drank/ate with them. They were jolly good fun and bought me wine.

Also before the track I drove my rental car from Nelson to Picton, where Marlborough Sounds activity is based. Check out this bridge:


Seems a bit narrow eh? Well it is a one lane bridge, you're supposed to take turns with the other side. This one is a relatively super safe kind of one lane bridge, earlier with Kate I encountered one lane bridges with massive rock overhangs threatening to break at any time that curved around in such a way that you couldn't see the other end of the bridge. So you could simultaneously have a head-on collision with a massive rock tumbling on you. Bit scary.


Reminded me of Quechee Gorge

No comments:

Post a Comment