Friday, March 2, 2012

Time to tone down American friendly

I am on the bus on my way to Te Anau (sort of rhymes with tijuana) from Queenstown, figuring out how to open the window if the reckless bus driver plunges us into the lake bordering this highway along which we are hurtling.

Have I got a story for you, AmyY. Earlier today, I arrived at the bus stop about half an hour before departure, where the bus was already waiting along with the driver. Kiwis, especially the ones in hospitality, are pretty chatty (once a bus driver provided personal commentary during the entirety of a two hour ride on regional wines and rich people). This driver not being excepted, we struck up a convo about Korea as he asked where I was from.

After a couple minutes chat he asked what I was doing tonight, he wants to hear more about Korea, jokingly(?) asking if he can come along with me next time I go. Now this driver seems to be in at least his 60s, old enough to be my grandfather. I think, hmm this is unusual, but I ramble out an I'm not sure. Then he asks if I have a phone, I say no (I really don't) so he gives me his number and asks me to text him later. Still I am thinking, well it might be kind of cool if I got to meet his drinking buddies/old ladies he knows in town. I still can't possibly imagine he is hitting on me.

All pretense of this drops when he asks me, Where is your husband? asks my age, then says ah yes, you are so young and very beautiful. I frantically search his hands for a wedding ring--negative. Shit. At this point I announce I will go look at some shops in the remaining 15 minutes before the bus leaves and run away to the grocery store, making sure there are others on the bus before returning. And that is how I was accosted by a senior Kiwi.

I will probably have to see him again on my way out of the town so will maybe have to make up a boyfriend or something. Oh god he knows where I am staying. Hopefully he forgets about me in the week or so until I need a ride back to Queenstown. In the meantime I am sitting low in my seat hiding and trying to avoid eye contact.

Also they grow deer here for food so one pic is a red deer farm. Weird as they are also considered pests but I guess they really like venison/really like exporting venison.






2 comments:

  1. Ahaha! That is a glorious story. Also, they grow deer in Vermont too. So weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never noticed that in Vermont! There is plenty in VA should just hang with the crossbow deer hunters in my parents neighborhood.

      Delete